What have you learned?
Cutting frosted mylar- the effective way
Time management
Analyzing something I enjoy and making artwork about it.
Balance of less is more and more is less
What are some of the things will you be doing in the future?
I will be exploring interactive media, experimenting on panel, and ...
Can you talk about the arrangement of the work?
(still working on this) I am using a grid format. I see each piece as a landscape, creating a bigger landscape. I am using aspect ratios of screens/lcds/tvs/monitors. I start one square, bring in a second square, and then I lay down all the squares. I work on them individually then put them together to work on them as a whole image.
How do you know when these images are finished?
-When it feels or looks balanced, to me personally. When I feel comfortable with what piece of the image pushes/pulls/stands out. I look for compositional satisfaction. I will also walk away from a piece, for about a day, try to get a fresh look.
Where is the work going?
My work will continue being informed by video games. I see some of my work experimenting and becoming interactive, with programming/technology based, but still keeping that drawing aspect. I don't want abandon painting and drawing.
Are you going after an iconic image?
In some cases, yes. The green on brown rectangles that represent land(scape) or the orange question box, like in Super Mario Bros, are iconic. Also, the pixilation of an image and the exaggeration of colors are also iconic. I mix the iconography with my own mark making and ideas. My own interpretation of landscape. Imaginative or iconic.
How do you make decisions when you make the image?
I make decisions based on compositional weight and color. I think of extraordinary (or out of the ordinary) things, like a killer whale jumping over the road. I "go with the flow" for the most part. Like the immediacy in a sketchbook. But there are times when I make a mistake in a piece, or am unhappy with it, and it's like a car wreck. I then put all my attention onto that one spot. Trying to decide if it straying away from my concept or if it's just plain eyesore (to me).
No comments:
Post a Comment