Natural Forces
Painting On The Cusp
French Connection
Dominique Nahas is an art writer, critic, and curator. He has written various articles and reviews for Art in America, Flash Art, ArtNews, New Art Examiner, Art On Paper, Artnet Worldwide, Chelsea Arts, and TRANS. The New York Times has claimed Mr. Nahas an expert in contemporary art on three different occasions. He has held various director and teaching positions as well. I read a few of Dominique Nahas articles and I really enjoy his writing style.
To my surprise, I understood it quite well.
In Dominique Nahas' "Painting on the Cusp: Michael Brennan", he begins to walk us through Brennan's paintings.
"Trapped within the interior areas of each painting is an allover field minute, black and white brush strokes that seem to squirm and quiver -- a flurry of desiccated gestures that reminded this viewer of distressed or frayed scrims. The thin, dry painterly strokes are remarkably mutable; they waft in and out of focus, simultaneously allowing the eye to thrust and parry into a very peculiar type of infinite space. By framing an indeterminate, painterly central area with the kind of saturated, flat colors found in advertisements and corporate logos, Brennan dramatizes a play of oppositions and gives the work enhanced optical impact."
I found this description really informative and I could see myself taking my analysis of Brennan's paintings even further with the help of Nahas' review.
I found this description really informative and I could see myself taking my analysis of Brennan's paintings even further with the help of Nahas' review.
In Dominique Nahas' review "French Connection" you can really see him almost let go in a sense. This review is powerful and you can tell how passionate he is about it in his writing. Nahas was born in France, so writing a French art review for ArtNet was right up his alley.
No comments:
Post a Comment